Monday, April 23, 2007

A Box for my Camera

You've probably noticed that I've not posted any pictures from kayaking trips, recently. That's because, the more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea of having my kit in the boat with me, unprotected. And since we've been on rivers lately, rather than small, sheltered lakes, I've really not wanted to risk damage to it.

So I bought a box for my camera: a Pelican 1450, as I mentioned in this post. It came on Saturday, while Tracy and I were out on the Rivana River. It's shown, to the right, with my camera and flash snugly encased in foam; the big open spot there is for the EF 70-200 f2.8L IS USM (that I don't own yet). It's pretty massive and very, very solid feeling. I figure with all that foam around the camera, I could drop it off my deck and not have to worry about something getting broken. But I'm not going to test that theory - no sense in pushing my luck. It does float, however, which is a Very Good Thing™: means that if it falls overboard, it'll float on down the river, rather than sinking to the bottom (which would be a Very Bad Thing™).

Especially nice - and unexpected - is that I can leave the lens on the camera, in the box (as you can see in the picture). When I was working out the dimensions in Visio, I thought I was going to have to keep all the components separate. As I discovered while using the camera, yesterday (post to come, soon), it's really nice to be able to open the box and pull the camera right out, ready to shoot.

No comments: