Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Picture in Picture

Got a new set of prints back from WHCC yesterday, amongst which was the base print for the framed bit of art you see here. The frame is a double matte with about 1/4 of an inch (in depth) between the outer and inner matte. Over the outer matte, I have the "border" of the picture in the center of frame - but in black and white. Thus transforming the otherwise rather uninteresting outer matte (which is quite large, as you can see) into a muted continuation of the subject of the photo.

I think it's quite a clever idea and plan to build a small, 5-10 piece show around the idea, to be displayed at a local shop. In figuring out the technique (and equipment) needed to precisely cut the middle out of the border, I made a serious mistake (cut too far on the bottom right), so this is merely a prototype. I've got another print of the photo on the way, along with a different photo, set up in the same style. Those prints should arrive on Friday - I'll post my results when I have them.

No comments: