Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jane's Butte

On Tuesday, the weather that had improved on Monday held, and we were able to ride up to the top of Jane's Butte.


Jane's Butte dominates the view to the northwest of Homestead on the ranch and, for that reason, is iconic for those of us who have been to the O RO as guests. Riding to the top is one of my favorite rides and one I've done each of the three times I've been out on the ranch.


It also affords a great view across the Baca Float and into the western side of the ranch.

The top is juniper and century plants and grass - the horses sometimes climb up there on their own in search of food. We didn't see any this time, though. Just the horses we rode.


It's also a great place to shoot portraits, since the backdrop is so dramatic. We got Charlotte:


Jack:


Daniel (and Raven):


And I like taking pictures of the dried out stalks of the century plants. You can see the moon in this one:


Up close, it looks like this:

1 comment:

Bénédicte said...

this morning, I wanted to "come back" to Oro Ranch and was happy to find some of your hollidays pictures ; I saw Charlotte, and Jack, and Daniel and the others riding...a perfume of liberty, isn't it ? and a time who changed Charlotte's life in a sense, a time which made one of her dreams
into reality. this picture of her on the rock : I like it !
thanks to you both, love Bénédicte