Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Names Are Like Titles

A good name is everything. Well, alright, not quite everything. But they sure are a lot.

For instance: in digital systems, there is a failure condition known as the Byzantine Generals Problem. (Rather than explaining it in any detail, I'll trust you to look it up on Wikipedia.) It turns out that it is a real problem, it really does happen in real systems, and the consequences of ignoring these types of failures can be quite severe. But it's got the dumbest name. Not because the name doesn't adequately describe the fault scenario - it does. No, because when you try to talk to a manager about it, it's instant confusion. "Wait a minute, here.... Treacherous lieutenants? How can computer components lie? This must be nonsense!" And so on. "Asymmetric faulty" is a much better term (though less cool sounding): it captures the essence of what happens and doesn't require you to imagine that computers are actively trying to be mischevious (or treacherous). I blame L. Lamport for it, since he first described the situation (with others) in this paper.

Here's another one for you. Ribbit. Go ahead. Guess what that is (before clicking on the link!). Give up? It's an add-in to Word and PowerPoint that allows you to enter equations in LaTeX syntax. Imagine trying to get your company to front the money for this tool.
"Hey boss, I'd like you to buy a new tool and suggest that other members in the company give it a try."

"Really? What's it called?"

"Ribbit."

"...."

Yeah. That'd go over real well. And while I'm griping, "LaTeX" isn't such a hot name, either. "Oh - that rubbery stuff?" Yeah. Another Lamport invention, I might add. Oh yeah - and Ribbit's tagline is "Even better than the real thing." Whatever that means.

I should not leave you with the impression that I am the King of Names, however. I'm rotten at coming up with good names - just as I'm rotten at coming up with good titles. But knowing that, I'd for sure get some advice before trying to market my next great product, theoretical contribution, etc. And I understand why people pay so much money for good marketing.

No comments: