Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Hoooooome Improvement

Home improvement projects always get stretched out, somehow. You think: oh, it won't take long to do X but when you sit down to actually do it, it takes sooo much longer.

On Sunday, we went to Lowe's to get a new bow saw. The idea was to work in the back yard (since it was sunny and cool) and clear out some of the underbrush. While we were there, I thought: we should pick up the new faucet for the kitchen sink I wanted and also get the new shower head for the bathroom. So we did. Then when we got home, I thought: it would be fun to go ahead and put the faucet in.

So it began.

The first bump was in getting the old faucet off. I didn't have any fixed wrenches, and the adjustable couldn't reach the nut that needed to come off. So I called a coworker who lives around the corner and borrowed his. With his wrenches we got the old faucet off.

Then we discovered that the brass nut that needed to go on the new faucet wasn't threaded. No kidding: the nut was smooth on the inside. So we took the faucet back to Lowe's and got a new one (along with a set of wrenches, so I wouldn't have to borrow in the future).

Then, after installing the new faucet, we discovered that the metal flex hoses that ran from the shutoff to the faucet leads weren't long enough. So David and I went back to Lowe's. And had to call Tracy and ask what the correct size was. She measured both apertures and said they were half-inch. We got the hoses, picked up the garbage disposal I wanted (since we were already under the sink, why not?), and returned home.

Then we discovered that the hose was too big on the bottom to screw onto the shutoff. So Tracy and David went back to Lowe's to get the 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch hose. I, in the meantime, took off the old disposal and removed its mount (since the mount differed from the mount for the new disposal).

When they returned, they discovered that the 3/8 inch wouldn't even fit over the shutoff. The 1/2 inch fit, but the nut part that screws on was too big. So Tracy and I went back to Lowe's while David stayed at home (in case we needed to call and ask for measurements). We discovered that there are different kinds of 1/2 inch connectors; we needed the OD to FIP hose. We got those and returned home. Oh - and Lowe's was closing as we left.

The new hoses fit; our troubles seemed to be over. While Tracy completed the install of the faucet (she basically did the whole job herself - she's awesome), I finished installing the new mount for the new disposal. The new faucet is quite nice: has a built-in sprayer head (which was why I got it) and looks really slick. The picture's a bit dark, but you get the idea.

Once I finished installing the mount for the disposal, wired it up, and tested to make sure the wiring was correct, I lifted it into place. Or tried to. It wouldn't fit. I thought I would die. It had never occurred to me to measure under the sink and ensure that the unit would actually fit there: I'd just assumed that it would (even though it was vastly larger than the previous unit).

At this point, it was 9:00, dinner was ready (I'd been making it in parallel with all the other work), and we were all exhausted. We ate, decided to call it a night, and went to bed. I kid you not: I dreamt of garbage disposals for most of the night.

In the morning, I decided to take another look at it - just to see if maybe I'd missed something in being so tired the night before. Turned out I had: it was the handle for the shutoff for the hot water that was in the way. Reversing the handle allowed it to fit, after I routed the drain pipe to the side (rather than down). Tracy came in time to see me sit the thing on the mount - we were all pleased it would work after all (I was sooo not looking forward to removing the new mount and reinstalling the old one).

In order to get it plumbed, I had to go to Lowe's (again) and buy another angle connector, but this time, I had a good enough idea of what I needed that I only had to make one trip. Bought a hacksaw, so I could cut some of the pipe to the right size, and then plumbed the thing. It's much, much more solid than the plumbing for the old unit (which would vibrate the pipes loose, dumping water under my sink about once a month). Here's a picture of the finished install.

The really great thing is that, while the old unit was noisy and relatively ineffective, this one not only does a great job grinding up food, it's so quiet you can barely hear it over the running water. And the motor and grinding chamber is isolated from the housing and mount by rubber bushings, so it effectively doesn't cause any vibrations at all. Really slick. It's InSinkErator's Evolution Excel, in case you're curious.

The moral of this story (for those who like finding morals) is: when in doubt, buy everything. Lowe's has a great return policy: they take the item and give you your money back. Would have saved a great many trips had we just bought all of the possible hoses and taken them back next time we went to the store.

No comments: